So imagine doing something on your pc and you need to record your screen, maybe you just discovered something very important and would love to save it before you forget or you just want to share a fun clip with your friends online, You may be trying to show off your gaming prowess or a “how to do It” tutorial. At this point, you the best screen recorder you can find.
Top screen recording software mostly comes with three basic features;
- Recorder: this option gives you the ability to capture the actions happening on your desktop screen. You can create demonstration videos, record new tricks, and techniques you have discovered on your favorite software program before you forget them, you can even record a recurring problem with your computer so that you can show your technician.
- Webcam: you can make use of the webcam option to capture yourself while making a recording. You can also attach a microphone to run a commentary or narrative while streaming or recording
- Editor: most screen recording software out there has the option that allows you to edit your recordings one form or the other, it could be adding your logo, writing or drawing on your captured screen etc.
Screen recording software is very handy especially if you are into screen casting. However there are a lot of screen recorders for windows on the internet both free and paid ones, it is therefore very important to go for the best when making your choice.
Here’s a review of some of the top screen recording software for windows in no particular other.
ICECREAM SCREEN RECORDER
This is one of the top screen recorder software for windows. It allows the user to capture webcam, screen videos, record gameplay videos, tutorial videos etc. it also allows for both audio and microphone recording. It is embedded with 5 available recording modes; custom, full screen, last area, area auto detection and around the mouse. It has a zooming level of up to x16, supports all windows. To enjoy unlimited access, a one-time fee is required.
- Supports zooming in and out during screen recording.
- Allow you schedule screen recording.
- User-friendly interface which makes it easy to use
- The free version has a permanent watermark, limited record time of 5 minutes, and limited to non-commercial use.
- Lots of features cannot be accessed in the free version.
CAMTASIA STUDIO FOR WINDOWS
Camtasia not only provides you with tools to record screen video, but it also allows you edit these recordings into professional videos which you can share directly to YouTube, Google drive and screencast. It is also equipped with voice narration tools, zoom, and pan effects, multiple transition options etc.
If you are interested in creating fantastic videos using screen captures, Camtasia is the ideal software. It offers free 30 days trial, while the full version cost 299 dollars. Supports Windows XP SP3, window Vista or window 7
Camstasia is top notch and is one of the best screen recording software for windows
- You can record and produce top good videos and upload to YouTube without leaving the application
- Loaded with very useful features and options
- Superb for recording PowerPoint presentation
- Expensive one-off payment
- Maybe too technical if you do not have a basic knowledge of editing
EZVID FOR WINDOWS
Ezvid video maker is a cool screen recorder and video creator which stands out because of the cutting edge features embedded in it. With just a click, you can capture your screen, web page, gameplay, map, PowerPoint presentation etc. its ranks as one of the best screen recording software.
Ezvid has been carefully designed to increase the speed of screen recording. It supports all windows and pc with the 2.0 GHz processor.
- Instant slideshow maker
- AutoSaves during recording
- Easy to use video speed control
- Does not support zooming and panning on recorded footage
- Allows for a maximum recording of 45 minutes
- Does not support transition effects
BANDICAM SCREEN RECORDER
This is one of the top screen recorders for windows out there. It allows you to record your screen with ease. It can capture practically anything on your screen from game streaming to webcam, whether or not you are present and save it as video (MP4/AVI) or image file. It is particularly great with recording gameplay videos; it lets you record Directx games smoothly. It is also equipped with Auto Complete Recording function which allows you to record up to 24 hours.
- Allows you record external video device such as Xbox, PlayStation, smartphone, IPTV
- Allows you to cut parts of a video while keeping the original
- Records using NVidia’s H.264 codec which compresses files to a smaller size
- Records high-quality videos at resolutions up to 2560 x 1600
- It does not have upload options to major websites
- Very limited options in the unpaid version
From the stable of Splitmedialabs comes Xsplit. It is one of the best screen recorder software for windows. It is fully equipped with features to make your screencasting and streaming smooth. Xsplit broadcaster can combine videos from various sources which they call scenes. For example, while streaming a game, you can assign one scene to capture the game itself, another scene showing you while you play, while another shows highlights of the game.it can simultaneously broadcast to multiple streaming services. It supports Windows 8/XP/VISTA/8.1/10/7.
- Very easy to share captured screen online
- Good for game streaming
- Great support system
- Optimized for twitter, Facebook and YouTube
- Payment of monthly subscriptions
- Limited options and features for the free version
- Free version is watermarked
JING SCREEN RECORDER FOR WINDOWS
Jing has made it very easy to capture your computer screen and share online. The menu option is usually opened by the side of your PC’s screen so that you can easily call it up when needed.
Jing has a very easy to use interface; you do not need prior technical knowledge to enjoy its features. Download for free, install and use! It’s that easy.
It has a cool history feature where you can easily view your recent captures.
- Very easy to use, user-friendly interface
- Its free and open source
- Very limited editing features
- You have to be logged into screencast.com to share captured screen online
- It is known to lag.
Share X is amazing and useful screencast and screenshot software for windows. It is very handy for screen captures, files sharing and editing. It allows for sharing through editable hotkeys and is equipped with a great image editor with features such as a color picker, image editor, image effects, image thumbnailer, image combiner etc. it’s one of the best screen recorders
- It is free and open source
- No advertisement
- Great support system
- Easy to use and share online
- Requires permission to use all system resources
- Can lag
- Maybe be difficult to for first-time users
This software is great for screen capture; it allows you to record all screen and audio activities on your computer’s desktop. It’s fantastic for creating a tutorial or demonstration videos. Camstudio give you the option to record all or part of your screen using a custom cursor. You can also increase and reduce the quality of your recordings. Supports Windows 7 and 8
- Equipped with a lossless codec that produces a very clear result with smaller file sizes
- Comes with an inbuilt help file, which makes learning to use the software much easier.
- Only records to AVI and no other formats
- May introduce malware and virus during installations
If you are into online streaming of games, Fraps is good for you. It is particularly suited for gaming purposed. It captures audio and video at very high quality and allows you to check the frame rate of your games. Video production sizes are however too large, 2 minutes of video time is close to about 3GB in size! It’s one of the best screen recording software for windows.
It is generally easy to use and is loaded with great features. It supports Windows 8, Windows 7, and window vista.
- Has a very good performance, no lag, no rate drop.
- Superb for gameplay
- Easy to use
- Most options and features are not available on the free version. Full version cost about 37 dollars
Smartpixel is probably the easiest screen recorder software for windows. It is embedded with three basic options, editor, recorder, and webcam.
It may not be the most sophisticated program out there but it is very reliable and would get the work done. It supports all windows versions
- Smart pixel captures VoIP calls
- Records your screen in High Definition
- Export videos to various formats
- No zooming or panning option while recording
- Audio of captured videos cannot be adjusted
- The user interface is quite complicated, especially for first-time users
DEBUT VIDEO CAPTURE
One of the best screen recorder programs for windows. It comes with two different versions; professional and home. The home version is free, while the professional is the paid version. It comes with quite an array of features to suit your screen recording needs. It allows you to burn directly to DVD with Express Burn DVD Recorder.
Debut Video Capture would definitely get the work done! It supports Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP, Vista.
- Can record video alone or both videos and audio together
- Recording can be scheduled
- Allows adjustment of video resolution, size and frame rate
- Captured screen can be recorded in different formats
- No embedded video player
- Issues of lagging
- Need more features
- Not designed for gaming
Open Broadcaster Software Studio is arguably the best free and open source screen recorder software for windows. OBS allows you create scenes from multiple sources such as browser window, webcam, desktop captures, images, text etc which you can easily switch between via custom transitions
It offers a real-time high quality capturing and mixing as well as fantastic audio mix. It also supports streaming platforms such as YouTube, Mixer, Twitch Facebook live, Daily motion etc.
OBS studio is great for screencasting, streaming game, desktop recording, screenshots etc. It has both a 32 - bit and 64-bit versions and supports Windows 7 and newer versions. It supports different video encoding technologies such as Intel Quick Sync Video and X264 Library.
- Allows you to add text and logo while streaming videos
- Allows for video conferencing
- Absolutely free with no limitations
- Might take a while familiarizing for first-time users
TINYTAKE FOR WINDOWS
Tinytake is probably the most simple and easy to used screen recorder software for windows. It really simplifies screen recording, very ideal for the basic recording, webcam, and editing. It is loaded with enough features to support screencasting.
It allows you to access all your uploaded screen captures on the web from wherever you are. It, however, compiles you to create a compulsory mango Apps account which gives you access to a free 2GB cloud storage to share picture screenshots and screencasts.
Tiny take works on windows 10 and above desktop requires 4GB of RAM to function effectively
- Ideal for making tiny videos
- User-friendly interface
- The free version is for non-commercial purpose
- Not ideal for gaming
- Limited to 5 minutes of videos recording time on the free version
TALKHELPER SCREEN RECORDER
TalkHelper screen recorder software is the best option out there in terms of screen recording for windows. It is developed by talkHelper whose software are rated highly. It has a nicely designed User-friendly interface, which makes it easy to use. It allows you to capture all or partial part of your screen, with just a few clicks, you can record your screen, edit, and share online without leaving the application.
Captured screenshots and screencast are stored in AVI formats with XVID codec supported. Offers a 7 days free trial period with no limitations on features.
Supports Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10
If you have tried any of the screen recording software for windows on this list and still not satisfied, not to worry! TalkHelper screen recorder is the ideal software that offers maximum efficiency. You would be glad you tried it out.
- Lightweight, yet loaded with enough features to get the work done
- Allows you schedule screen recording
- Supports zooming and panning while recording
- Allows adjustment of video resolution, size and frame rate
- The free version last for only 7 days